Starting new topics in unrelated threads (was: Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] gif output broken?)

Rich Felker dalias
Wed May 3 17:32:34 CEST 2006

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 10:23:33PM +0200, Ivo wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 May 2006 22:11, Rich Felker wrote:
> > On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 08:51:47PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > > Please don't just reply to existing messages when you start a new
> > > topic, compose a new message.  Otherwise you break threading and are
> > > likely to get ignored or flamed.
> >
> > This is becoming a rapidly increasing problem. Hopefully we can adopt
> > a filter to reject such emails...
>
> I think that's pretty difficult. Maybe filter on changed subject line that
> does not match the patern I just used (new topic (was: old topic) ) and

My test: subject does not begin with Re: AND no lines of the body
begin with >.

> reject those e-mails. Or maybe remove all references from the header if the
> subject line changed and effectively start a new thread automatically, but
> that doesn't teach them a lesson and might even encourage bad behaviour on
> other lists.

Agree. We should not fix users' mistakes for them, but rather make it
difficult for them until they stop doing this nonsense.

Rich