[Ffmpeg-devel] random crashes decoding MP3s

Måns Rullgård mru
Fri Mar 31 23:13:24 CEST 2006

Jacob Meuser <jakemsr at jakemsr.com> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 11:33:09AM -0800, Jacob Meuser wrote:

>> > [...]
>> >
>> > This could be bad memory.  Do you have any other random crashes, like
>> > GCC segfaulting or so?  Run a memory checker like memtest86, and check
>> > your cabling.
>>
>> hmmm.  I haven't seen anything else go wonky, but of course sh*t
>> happens when you least expect it (and can least afford it :().
>>
>> I'll try memtest86 and report back in a while.
>
> I only let it go for 1.2 passes but no errors.
>
> I realized I had always been building FFmpeg with CFLAGS+=-g, so I
> tried without.  still crashed in huffman_decode(), but I got through
> a lot more files before it happened.

FFmpeg is built with -g by default to that shouldn't make a
difference.

> also, the crashes do not happen with FFmpeg CVS from 04/13/2005.

Make sure you have a clean build of ffmpeg (make clean; make).

Does this happen with all files?  If not, upload a sample somewhere.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com