[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] mpeg2 422 encoding.

Baptiste COUDURIER baptiste.coudurier
Thu Mar 30 17:25:17 CEST 2006

Hi

Im trying to mod the mpeg2 encoder to use 4:2:2 profile.

Here is a preliminary work, and results are correct for intra only
streams. I will work on Long GOP encoding after.

I would like your comments, especially from someone who really know
mpeg2 specs, and knowing if Im really out or if im going into the right
direction.

Weighting is not yet taken into account (422 and 444 requires different
coeffs).

Next step for me would be to enable intra_vlc_format encoding. I just
digged into the code and found that some support was envisaged (code is
disabled in mpeg1_encode_block, but is here).
Any hints to achieve that ?

And finally supporting non linear q_scale_type.
All this work is to support D10 encoding, widely used in editing systems:
http://www.smpte.org/smpte_store/standards/pdf/s356m.pdf

Thanks a lot.

SMARTJOG S.A.                                    http://www.smartjog.com
Phone: +33 1 49966312