American quality standards. (was: Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] [ bug ] converting png to dv gives solid black )

The Wanderer inverseparadox
Wed Mar 15 20:22:49 CET 2006

Erik Slagter wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 15:34 +0000, Dieter wrote:
>
>> The RF is popular since antennas need RF (duh).  And most cable is
>> analog and just plugs into the RF with no converter box needed.
>> That's starting to change with digital cable, pay-per-view, and
>> such.  Most VCRs have RF and composite out, a few high-end units
>> have s-video. Component is pretty rare.
>
> Ouch. It's silly for the TV set producers to wait for the STB
> producers to implement RGB/component inputs and VV. Like I said, I
> haven't seen a TV set without at least a scart input over here for
> ages, probably over ten years, even the very cheapest ones. VCRs of
> course do not offer an RGB signal, but DVD players do (at least the
> European ones). Don't have US DVD players some sort of component
> output then?

Just poking my head in here to note, for the little it's worth, that I
(as a not-particularly-videophilic American) had never even *heard* of
SCART until this discussion started; to the best of my knowledge I've
never seen any hardware which supported it. I wouldn't be in the least
surprised if the majority of American consumers were in much the same
boat; indeed, I might well be surprised if that were *not* true.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.