[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: HDTV, patents, DRM

Erik Slagter erik
Wed Mar 15 18:11:28 CET 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 14:23 +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> >> Where do they access this raw ts stream?
> >
> > At least my receiver gives access to the raw ts stream from software.
> > Maybe others do as well. It just might be that that is why most
> > broadcasters are ehm... not too happy with it.
> >
> > Also a DVB-S card in a linux box would offer the same.
>
> Of course it will.  I knew that.  The problem is that the stream is encrypted,
> and you don't have the key.

Yeah. I think we had a different interpretation of "raw ts" here. I
meant the thing received without any processing (like decryption)
applied. It seems that if you look at the stream long enough you'll find
out the decryption or go mad or both ;-)

> Any purely software based solution can and will be cracked.  A hardware
> solution can be made strong enough that breaking it will cost you more
> than paying the license.  Those x-ray machines you mentioned don't come
> cheap.

Yep. Most cams are cracked by hobbyists with little cash and lots of
time ;-)