[Ffmpeg-devel] [ bug ] converting png to dv gives solid black

Erik Slagter erik
Tue Mar 14 13:01:47 CET 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 13:13 -0800, Roman Shaposhnick wrote:
>   I've asked this question many times and I still don't think I know
>   the answer: why is that I see very little desire to converge on
>   a progressive unified standard with a fixed frame rate for at least
>   digital HDTV broadcasts ? I hear about Blue Ray vs. HD DVD all the time
>   but I hardly hear anything about ditching NTSC and PAL in favor of something
>   that actually makes sense in 21st century.

Hear, hear! Something like 24/48 fps, at least something easily
transferable from movie. Using non-CRT screens flickering is no longer
an issue, only the actual update frequency counts.

It would mean the STB would have to do an (expensive) translation to the
native frame rate of the legacy TV set, though.