[Ffmpeg-devel] [ bug ] converting png to dv gives solid black

Erik Slagter erik
Mon Mar 13 18:21:05 CET 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 15:07 +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

> > Okay, from a technical perspective it doesn't matter that much, I agree,
> > the computer won't mind using a crystal (eg) 0.001% different to
> > compensate for a "weird" frame rate. But personally I prefer having to
> > write 30 fps to 30000/1001, don't you?
>
> Sure.  The fact remains that there is lots of content recorded at a native
> 30000/1001 fps frame rate.

... which could be broadcasted at 30.00 fps imho ... (as soon as
dependencies on legacy analogue systems are gone, see other message)

> Not quite true.  The digital settop boxes will continue to output analog
> composite or svideo signals for quite some time to come.

Hmmm, that is true, I didn't think of that. I assumed everyone connected
it's STB properly using scart/component. Are there any TV sets left that
don't have RGB/component inputs? Otherwise I don't see why a digital STB
should be outputting these. VCRs are a completely different story of
course. One advantage of connecting your STB using composite: you won't
see the blocky artifacts of low bitrate channels ;-) ;-)

> Sounds about like the situation here in the UK.  DVB-T isn't great, but at
> least where I live, it is better than the analog signal.  It's widescreen
> too, which is always good.

UK is much farther on this point. The BBC broadcasts all of it's
variants in wide screen on sat using a more or less proper bit rate,
it's a real joy to watch. Only this annoying bSKYb... they make it
impossible to watch their (= almost all) channels outside the UK :-(