[Ffmpeg-devel] Fixed vs. Floating Point AAC

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Mar 8 13:01:47 CET 2006

Hi

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 04:14:25AM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 02:11:54PM -0800, Mike Melanson wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 	Pursuant to the recent discussion of a possible AAC
> > 	re-implementation, do you think it should rely on fixed or floating point
> > numbers? I know the prevailing sentiment will probably be fixed point. So I
>
> Definitely integer (fixed point).

it should support both, fixed point is absolutely needed for embeded systems
(and richs K6), and floating point is more accurate and faster on modern
cpus, and floating point is much easier to implement

Michael