[Ffmpeg-devel] cropping + rescaling broken?

Måns Rullgård mru
Tue Mar 7 12:11:13 CET 2006

Luca Abeni said:
> Hi M?ns,
>
> On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 10:54 +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> [...]
>> > Anyway, the result looks bogus again... But now I am beginning to
>> > understand... I was expecting ffmpeg to rescale first and crop after
>> > rescaling, but it looks like it does the opposite...
>>
>> Cropping is supposed to happen first.  After that, what remains should be
>> scaled to the requested size.
> Ok, thanks. At least now I know how things are supposed to work ;-)

If anything behaves differently, it would be great if you fixed that first,
before replacing the scaler.

>> Think about common usage.  Typically, you
>> know how much of the source you want to crop (e.g. black borders), and you
>> know what final size you want.
> Yes, this makes sense. So, I do not understand why cropping changes the
> output size...

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  Cropping should obviously change the
size; that's what it's all about, no?

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com