[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: [OT] Wikipedia

Robert Swain robert.swain
Sat Mar 4 01:53:54 CET 2006

On Saturday 04 March 2006 00:10, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> writes:

> >> The Encyclopaedia Britannica has a solid treatment of quite complex
> >> scientific topics.  IIRC, there is an article on calculus spanning on
> >> the order of 100 pages in fairly fine print.  It's not comparable to a
> >> proper book on the matter, but that's not the purpose of an
> >> encyclopedia.
> >
> > I'll give you an example: I recently needed to know the exact difference
> > between perfect and maximal matchings on graphs, because the book I was
> > studying from was unclear.  I looked through several math books to no
> > avail, but I immediately found it on Wikipedia...
>
> Good for you.  The problem with Wikipedia, like almost everything on
> the Internet, is that you can't quite trust it.  I put more faith in
> something I read in a book by a reputable author than what some
> anonymous person has scribbled on a web page.

Surely that's because of the ratification process that goes into such
publications. If I ever make a reference in a piece for my university I use
paper references, simply because of the peer review process that has to be
undertaken. That's not to say I don't use or appreciate Wikipedia, but I
think I consider it more fallible than a properly reviewed article for
technical subjects.

On occasion, I would expect certain people in the general public
(fanatics? :)) to have as good or better knowledge about some subjects in the
public eye than someone writing an encyclopedia. (c.f. the 'hollaback girl'
thing...)

As it progresses over coming years, due to its accessibility and availability
by everyone under the sun be they academics or general public, I think
Wikipedia could surpass traditional paper encyclopedia. As long as academics
are willing to entrust their wisdom to the website for free and help the
cause.

Just my two pence,
Rob