[Ffmpeg-devel] About swscale

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Jun 28 23:50:42 CEST 2006

Hi

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 12:12:14AM +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
[...]
> > > I think leaving swscale in mplayer and making it external in ffmpeg
> > > would cause problems. MPlayer would then have two copies of swscale (the
> > > "real", probably unused where it is, implementation somewhere and then a
> > > copy under its external ffmpeg).
> >
> > no, mplayer doesnt have ffmpeg.c either, neither does it have the vhook
> > directory
>
> Ok there doesn't need to be another copy if the location in FFmpeg is
> not under anything that would be included in MPlayer for other reasons.
> That still leaves practical problems with external directories. FFmpeg
> commits could not change the swscale files.

are you trying to say a commit libswscale/abc libavcodec/xyz will fail?
if so, i doubt thats true and if it is its a bug/limitation in svn and
should be dealt with accordingly (=bugreport)

> swscale changes would not
> appear in the FFmpeg history.

if there are no changes in ffmpeg then theres little need for them to appear
there as a change of the revision number ...

> Specifying an FFmpeg version with a
> revision would not include swscale.

same as with mplayer and lavc/lavf, or even all external libs mplayer uses

> Would the swscale files be supposed
> to follow the FFmpeg coding style even if they're in the MPlayer
> repository?

IMO thats irrelevant

> > > Just adding the files to ffmpeg without previous history and making sure
> > > the history is readily accessible elsewhere might be the most practical
> > > solution.
> >
> > iam against that and that decission is final
>
> What are your requirements for an acceptable solution? I get the feeling

first requirement: leave me out of this idiotic disscussion
second: distort the history as little as possible

moving sws into ffmpeg will either destroy the date/time of the past
swscale changes or distort the revision numbers