[Ffmpeg-devel] size of encoded file not continous parameter of 'vqscale'

Jeff Clagg snacky
Fri Jun 9 16:07:19 CEST 2006

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 01:02:09PM +0200, Darko Veberic wrote:
> hi,
>
> i am usually encoding video with the following mencoder options:
> -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vqscale=$vq:vhq:v4mv:trell:autoaspect:threads=4

This isn't what you asked, but vhq isn't a good idea. Replace it with
mbd=2, and you will get better quality for a neglible speed difference.
I've actually seen a case where vhq was twice as slow as mbd=0, but vhq
gave slightly worse quality.

Also, threads=4 is only useful if you have around 4 CPUs. And it causes
a large reduction in quality.