[Ffmpeg-devel] H.264 encoder

Panagiotis Issaris takis.issaris
Tue Jun 6 10:26:54 CEST 2006

Hi,

A while ago we sent a message to this mailinglist, announcing the fact
that we were working on a H.264 encoder for libavcodec. We have released
a new patch, which is available at the following location:
http://research.edm.uhasselt.be/h264/

Our main focus is on the baseline profile and the current features of
the encoder are the following:
  - one slice per frame is used
  - I frames using intra 16x16 encoding
  - P frames using 16x16 macroblocks (no subblocks)
  - a basic motion estimation algorithm
  - a basic rate control algorithm
  - motion vector search is full-pixel (a qpel implementation is
available but is not enabled by default)
  - the previous frame is used as reference frame
  - deblocking filter is enabled

We felt that now was a good time to ask for some additional feedback.
The patch is not intended for direct adoption into the main libavcodec
tree, but we'd be happy to make the required changes if the encoder is
considered adequate.

Bye,
Takis & Jori