[Ffmpeg-devel] libtheora brokenness in lavc

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Jul 20 10:42:31 CEST 2006

Hi

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 08:04:57AM +0200, matthieu castet wrote:
> Hi,
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >
> >all files i have (not many ...) either play perfectly with ffmpeg or
> >they arent playable with libtheora at all
> All my streams also decode with ffmpeg decoder
>
> >so IMHO if noone finds a theora file which can be played with libtheora
> >but not with ffmpeg, then libtheora support should be dropped its one
> >dependancy less ...
> >
> Do you know what's missing to have a full theora decoder ?
> - Qis support
> - different pixel format
> - ...
>
> I wonder if any of these missing features will be in next libtheora
> releases and make the ffmpeg decoder not decode all theora streams.

based on the same argument we could never drop support of anything
its always possible that a external lib adds a feature we dont have
in the future, and no we rarely support the whole standards, noone
does, often not even the reference implementations ...

what annoys me most is that if libtheora is enabled our decoder
is disabled, so no bugs will be found and people might even start
sending us bugreports for libtheora

so IMO libtheora must NOT be the default decoder if it is enabled
this immensely hurts the quality of our native decoder

furthermore ive had the feeling that theora development at xiph has
pretty much stopped but ive not looked at their theora mailnglists
recently so maybe iam wrong