[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: integrating AVS decoding into MPlayer

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Jul 15 23:03:00 CEST 2006

Hi

On Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 10:49:02PM +0200, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
[...]
> > [...]
> >
> > Care to explain how these rules will cease to apply?
>
> Like they changed in those years, when compression appeared, then VBR,
> who knows...
>
> NUT system is the best one around. Still I persist to say that wraping
> specs are needed, and even more for ambiguous codecs wraping formats,
> and a fourcc for each codec recognized must be written in the specs,
> that means standardized.

for ambiguous cases we certainly should say something in the spec but most
arent ambiguous, if you follow the spec of a codec and the nut spec and
use a little common sense ...

[...]

> >> I persist to say that a container SHALL standardize a codec wraping
> >> (even just saying "default wraping rule applies" and its fourcc is ...)
> >> if it needs to support it. It should just be a matter of one line per
> >> codec, as NUT is very generic ;)
> >
> > The one line would be the same for every codec so it's pointless.
>
> IMHO not for H264,

what exactly is unclear in the h.264 spec?

> > What about timecode ? Subtitles ?
>
> There is no specifications in NUT specs about wraping those kind of
> data. A stream type identifier is not sufficient IMHO.
>
> I just read the specs again and I also do not see and decent standard to
> pack extradata for specific codec. Just put the MOV atoms in NUT ?

which codec spec is unclear about how to store it? ogg based codecs yes,
that needs a line to clarify

> Btw this thread now belongs to NUT devel IMHO.

yes