[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: integrating AVS decoding into MPlayer

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Jul 15 22:45:55 CEST 2006

Hi

On Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 08:26:35PM +0200, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> Rich Felker wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> The other attitude produced DV in AVI crap, Vorbis in another container
> >> mess, fourcc collisions, FMP4 nonsense. H264 NAL reformating shit, MP3
> >> frame wraping shit, etc...
> >
> > It produced none of these things. What produced these things was the
> > fact that these codecs were originally designed (by idiot designers)
> > to only work in one container, so that (bigger idiot) windows users
> > came up with obviously-incorrect ways to store them in other
> > containers with double-container nonsense.
> >
> > What I'm talking about is very different. NUT is very specific about
> > how arbitrary codecs must be stored, but the same requirements that
> > work for NUT work for any sane container. The same frames stored in
> > NUT can be stored in AVI and a proper player will play them just fine.
>
> For examples, about H264 you need to either choose either
> AVI(bytestream) wraping or MOV wraping. You shall standardize wraping
> for codecs (vorbis, dv, h264 comes in mind). Saying "just like in AVI"
> is stupid and will produce more mess than it is actually. Wraping is
> another problem than "identifying" codecs by a fourcc.
>
> And why not specifying BEST wraping method for codecs instead of using
> AVI one ?
>
> IMHO H264 NAL formating in MOV is better than in AVI. Not standardizing
> wraping is just laziness IMHO.

h.264 specifies how things should be formated if iam not mistaken (dont kill
me if i remember this wrong, its some time since i read the spec) and that
is how things should be stored obviously ... mov does something different
its not a avi vs. mov question but a standard vs. non standard thing