[Ffmpeg-devel] integrating AVS decoding into MPlayer

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Fri Jul 14 22:52:15 CEST 2006

Hello,
On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 09:26:24PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx> writes:
> > A FourCC is just a number. No big deal.
>
> Exactly what I've been saying.  So why should any special weight be
> given to the particular numbers used in avi files?  To the extent that
> codecs without an entry in the avi table are unusable, no less.  Madness.

Well, and my point was why should every program invent its own naming
scheme with the needed mapping when support for muxing into AVI is
wanted anyway?
But (assuming you speak for everyone else as well ;-) ) that seemed to
be an invalid assumption from my side.
I'm just trying to find out what the solution would be, and one that is
at least somewhat consistent.
For example, what is the codec_tag struct member supposed to be? I
always assumed it to map to MPlayer's "pseudo FOURCC" or whatever you
would want to call them, and used it like that in my demuxers.
And what would be the criteria for entries in this table? If it's not
"free for all", how to decide which go in and which don't?
I do understand your objections, but the response seemed to me a bit
heated since I had the impression that adding things like this was
a long-standing practice, and nobody objected adding the two audio tags
to riff.c for NuppelVideo, although I explicitly asked about saying I
find it a bit ugly.

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger