[Ffmpeg-devel] integrating AVS decoding into MPlayer

Måns Rullgård mru
Fri Jul 14 22:26:24 CEST 2006

Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx> writes:

> M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>> Partly.  I also think it is an incredibly bad idea to base an entire
>> player around the codec ids used by any single container format,
>> especially such an ill-defined one as avi.
>
> A FourCC is a number. It's just a number. It identifies codecs. MPEG
> uses numbers to identify codecs, too. Yes, there have been some
> collisions regarding numbers/FourCCs, but we've managed to work around
> them somehow. Just a number.
>
> A FourCC is just a number. No big deal.

Exactly what I've been saying.  So why should any special weight be
given to the particular numbers used in avi files?  To the extent that
codecs without an entry in the avi table are unusable, no less.  Madness.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com