[Ffmpeg-devel] Possible bug when defining aspect

herve.flores herve.flores
Fri Jul 14 20:53:08 CEST 2006

Le 14 juil. 06 ? 19:16, Alexandre Jorge Matos Pinto a ?crit :

> Hello, I've been using ffmpeg for six months now and i would like to
> start by congratulate the developers in their excellent job. For me it
> is the best movie converter tool for linux available, and I've
> tried a few.
>
> The possible bug I've detected is that when some video options are
> defined the "-aspect" option is ignored.
> I use ffmpeg to convert AVI files to DVD compatible MPEGs.
> For films with a video ratio below 2.0 i use an output aspect of 16:9,
> ie, options "-target pal-dvd -aspect 16:9". It works fine.
> For films with a video ratio above 2.0 i assume "cinemascope" and
> therefore i add pads to top and bottom and use an aspect of 16:9, ie,
> options "-target pal-dvd -s 720x436 -padtop 70 -padbottom 70 -aspect
> 16:9". The problem is that the "-aspect" options seems to be
> ignored and
> the resulting film has an 4:3 aspect instead. I don't see why this
> can't
> be done and therefore assume it must be a bug.
> The reason i need 16:9 aspect is that and I'm counting with the
> "panscan" capability of DVD players to allow an increase in film
> definition.
>
> I've used the latest version from the "subversion" repository.
>
> Thanks for your attention.
> Alexandre Pinto

-aspect is broken with -pad

Luca Abeni fixed it with this simple patch (he just changes one line,
and it works great :-))
but the patch was never commited

use of a patch :
cd [path to folder] ffmpeg
make distclean
patch -p0 < [path to file] try_to_fix_aspect.diff
make

bye