[Ffmpeg-devel] 2.95?

Måns Rullgård mru
Thu Jul 13 23:53:47 CEST 2006

Vladimir Mosgalin <mosgalin at VM10124.spb.edu> writes:

> Hi M?ns Rullg?rd!

>> > Loathe as I am to admit it, you might be onto something here, at least
>> > for compilation speed. gcc 2.95 compiles the tree in 15 minutes. 3.4.6
>> > takes 21 minutes. ~30 minutes for 4.1.1.

BTW, you should get a faster computer.  My lowly pentium4 2.8 does a
full ffmpeg build with gcc 3.4.6 in just under 6 minutes.

>> In theory, the compiler could be spending that extra time optimizing
>> the code.  Were that the case, I'd happily trade a little compilation
>> time for faster execution.  Sadly, I'm afraid this is not the case
>> here.
>>

> Haven't you read benchmarks in mplayer-dev list? It IS the case here.
> Binary compiled with gcc4 is faster than the one compiled with gcc3,
> which is faster than gcc295 binary.

That's good news.  I know lots of development effort on gcc has gone
into c++ support, sometimes at the expense of plain c performance
(both in compilation time and code speed).  GCC 3.0 was certainly
nothing to be proud of.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com