[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] move stuff in libavutil/common.h out of #ifdef HAVE_AV_CONFIG_H

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Jul 9 12:49:52 CEST 2006

Hi

On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 11:41:08AM +0200, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> I can't see any clear semantics as how HAVE_AV_CONFIG_H is supposed to
> be used (see e.g. this comment: "/* only include the following when
> compiling package */"), but the attached patch would move some of the
> more useful functions out of the #ifdef and make them more easily
> available to non-ffmpeg users.

i think the semantics are mostly internal vs. external availability
-> i think common.h should be split ...

> Probably stuff that uses e.g. #ifdef ARCH_X86 should not be moved, but I
> don't really know and hope to get some ideas from you.

i see no big issue with making ARCH_X86 stuff available to the outside

> Though it might be a better idea to make those #define HAVE_AV_CONFIG_H
> and provide an appropriate config file (that also defines all the
> ARCH_... stuff), and introduce another define that would get rid of all
> the stuff most people outside of ffmpeg will not want, like
> #define malloc please_use_av_malloc

iam fine with the patch except that
FASTDIV / inverse   (not even documented ... hell i dont even remember exactly
                     what range the input needed to had for the output to be
                     correct)
ff_sqrt*            (iam unsure if not maybe we should have 16.16 fixed point
                     output, so i dont want people to depend on it yet)
MASK_ABS
COPY3_IF_LT         (probably these could be removed entirely, needs benchmark
                     for the spots where its used, Note dont forget -mcpu
                     /-march)

should stay unavailable to the outside world