[Ffmpeg-devel] problem compiling on Visual Stuio 2005

Bogdan Mustiata bogdanm
Tue Jul 4 09:29:21 CEST 2006

These were the instructions I've used to compile it using MS compiler
(not VS2003) - (taken from an old wikipedia doc ;) ):

Ffmpeg can be compiled into Windows-DLLs for later usage in Microsoft
operating systems, but this is unfortunately not trivial. The compiling
must be done with gcc found in MinGW, and the LIB-tool found in MSVC.
The following recipe will lead to the construction of DLL-libraries:

     * Prerequisites: MinGW, MSYS and MSVC installed.
     * Add the following line to the top of C:\msys\1.0\msys.bat to gain
access to LIB and LINK (Visual Studio 2003):
           o call "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003\Common7\Tools\vsvars32.bat"
     * Use the MSYS environment and MinGW to compile the library as
shown in [1].
     * Run "./configure --enable-shared " to configure the build (add
--enable-memalign-hack if the script complains)
     * Run "make" to compile the libraries
     * Run "make install" to copy the libraries to their install directories
     * Copy the DEF, LIB and EXP files for avcodec, avformat and avutil
manually to the install directories
     * Insert "#define EMULATE_INTTYPES" at the top of "avcodec.h" to
prevent a missing inttypes.h error.

Have fun,

Bogdan