[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: ffmpeg seq faults

Dieter freebsd
Fri Jan 20 14:37:36 CET 2006

>> I'm getting seg faults from ffmpeg.  :-(
> Then write a complete bug report.

In my experience, the best first step is to fix the compiler
warnings.  This often fixes the problem without having to
hunt for it.  (And is a good idea anyway.)

If that doesn't work, then it's time to gather some data.
(fire up a debugger, add/turn-on print statements, ktrace, ...)

>> Is anyone working on fixing the compiler warnings?
> I try to keep it tidy, but it's a constant job.  What compiler flags
> did you use to get those warnings?  At least some of them can be
> easily fixed.

   -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes
   -Wpointer-arith -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wformat

I always fix the decl/prototype warnings first, and then recompile
to get a fresh set of warning messages.  Otherwise the other warning
messages can be incorrect.