[Ffmpeg-devel] [BUG] Assertion in h264 decoder (missing reference frames?)

Howard Berkey howard
Mon Jan 9 21:34:26 CET 2006

Jindrich Makovicka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the following sample (~512k) triggers a failed assertion in h264.c:
>
> h264.c:2610: mc_dir_part: Assertion `pic->data[0]' failed.
>
> It has been produced by x264 rev 394.
>
> http://kmlinux.fjfi.cvut.cz/~makovick/goro.avi

Funny timing.  I just subscribed to the list and I happen to
be working around this bug as well.  As others in the thread mentioned,
it appears to be caused by missing reference frames.

It is really easy to reproduce; modifying the apiexample
code in libavcodec to use H264 and drop occasional frames will
cause it to happen pretty much immediately.

Howard