[Ffmpeg-devel] Excessive default command line output

Diego Biurrun diego
Wed Feb 22 22:51:37 CET 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:32:36PM +0100, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:

> On 2/22/06, Dan Villiom Podlaski Christiansen <danchr at opendarwin.org> wrote:
> > To test a newly compiled FFmpeg, I just did a quick './ffmpeg' only
> > to find it pouring text into my terminal. Out of
> >
> > % ./ffmpeg |& wc -l
> >       399
> >
> > Are you developers quite certain *all* those lines contain
> > information relevant to the casual observer? Perhaps it would be
> > relevant to do what LAME does:
> >
> > % lame --help |& wc -l
> >        23
> > % lame --longhelp |& wc -l
> >       158
>
> [..]
>
> ... but your idea isn't bad, so as Diego said: you're welcome to
> improve the situation by sending a patch.

Maybe my mail could be seen as derisive, that was not the intention.  I
have been working to reduce the default amount of text that MPlayer
prints to the console myself.

The help output could surely be cleaned up.  Send a patch, I'll review
and commit it.

Diego