[Ffmpeg-devel] setting up v4l2 for ffmpeg

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Wed Feb 22 23:33:02 CET 2006

Hi Dieter,

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 11:43 +0000, Dieter wrote:
> > ffmpeg -y -vd /dev/video0 -ad /dev/dsp0 -s 352x288 -vcodec mpeg4 test.avi
> > (after using v4lctl or xawtv or something else to properly setup video
> > standard, channel, and eventually tuning the TV receiver)
>
> I haven't found a list of codecs that the -vcodec option accepts.
Try "ffmpeg -formats"

> v4lctl -c /dev/video1 -v 1 setchannel 10 capture on
> ffmpeg -v 2 -target dv -s 720x480 -vd /dev/video1 -ad /dev/dsp -tvstd NTSC out.dv
>
> results in:
>
> [...]
> DEBUG video_device = @/dev/video1@
> DEBUG av_open_input_file arg filename = @@
> DEBUG av_open_input_stream got here
> [video4linux @ 0x82d5480]Fatal: grab device does not support suitable format
> DEBUG av_open_input_stream fail 3
> DEBUG av_open_input_file goto fail 4, filename = @@
> Could not find video grab device
Uhmmm... It looks like you are not using the v4l2 input, but the "old"
video4linux input. Did you disable v4l2 at configure time? Or perhaps
your system does not support video4linux2?

In any case, if you prefer (or must) use video4linux instead of
video4linux2, then have a look at recent ml archives... A patch for
grab.c (the file implementing video4linux input) has been recently
posted. And I think it addresses some problem similar to this. Which
capture card are you using? Or is it a webcam?

If you can send your confi.mak/config.h, the full output of ffmpeg, and
the output of dmesg, I'll have a better look at your problem.

			Luca

 Sponsor:
 Jamba: le ultime suonerie per il tuo cellulare!
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=4612&d=22-2