[Ffmpeg-devel] Differences between mencoder and ffmpegwhenencoding using x264

Måns Rullgård mru
Tue Feb 21 20:51:53 CET 2006

Robert Swain <robert.swain at gmail.com> writes:

> In my opinion the defaults system should be altered such that
> defaults can be specified for each codec. Maybe inheriting defaults
> from elsewhere and overwriting some as required. Defaults should
> also be consolidated as they're all over the place (in the code) at
> the moment.
>
> This is all my lowly opinion. :) The big guns might disagree.
> (Michael? Loren? Mans? ...Rich? etc :) )

I agree.  The problem right now is that avcodec_get_context_defaults()
doesn't know which codec the context is intended for.  I suggest we
create a new avcodec_get_context_defaults2(), or whatever, taking an
AVCodec as an argument, and doing the same as the present
avcodec_get_context_defaults, then fetching overrides from the codec.
The per-codec defaults could be supplied either by means of a pointer
to a function that when called filled in various values, or perhaps
somehow using the AVOption stuff.

Is this a bad idea for some reason I haven't thought of?

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com