[Ffmpeg-devel] Differences between mencoder and ffmpegwhenencoding using x264

Robert Swain robert.swain
Tue Feb 21 13:53:06 CET 2006

On 2/21/06, Erik Slagter <erik at slagter.name> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 11:40 +0000, Robert Swain wrote:
> > No need to shout. ;) I agree that there probably isn't any harm in
> > setting the
> > h.264-specific parameters to saner defaults. My intent when updating
> > the
> > interface was to deal with all the defaults at a later date and just
> > not
> > bother with any of them initially. The main priority was to at least
> > enable
> > all current functionality at the time as hardly any options were
> > available.
>
> Relax! I wasn't blaming anyone and neither you! Just stating some
> improvement is possible, imho it's not that important who or when will
> take care of it...

I'm perfectly calm and wasn't perceiving any blame. I'm just trying to
point out what I have been thinking. See more below.

> I appreciate very much any work that hase been done on ffmpeg, also
> yours!
>
> > In my opinion the defaults system should be altered such that defaults
> > can be
> > specified for each codec. Maybe inheriting defaults from elsewhere
> > and
> > overwriting some as required. Defaults should also be consolidated as
> > they're
> > all over the place (in the code) at the moment.
>
> Ultimately, sure.

I think it would be better to tackle the whole problem rather than
spending time working on temporary fixes that affect the output of
other codecs in FFmpeg. 'If you're going to do something, do it well'
and all that. :) It would be quite a large job, but I think it would
be worthwhile in the long run. If we get some discussion going and can
pin down what exactly is a good approach to the problem then actually
coding the solution should probably only eat a few hours of someone's
time.

Rob