[Ffmpeg-devel] Differences between mencoder and ffmpegwhenencoding using x264

Erik Slagter erik
Tue Feb 21 11:16:23 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 03:45 +0000, Robert Swain wrote:

> I did this because qscale means nothing to me while I (and other x264 users to
> my knowledge) are much more familiar with 'qp's. 'qscale' was originally used
> but as most x264 users (due to use of the cli or mencoder) I changed it to
> cqp. I will take all the flak for this decision.

[ ... ]

> As Loren said, x264 uses the subme option to control such techniques and as
> such I tried to avoid use of *cmp.

Hmmm, maybe an idea, if these (mpeg4-specific) parameters are used for
h264 encoding, to either submit a warning or silently try to the
translate the parameters into h264 semantics as much as possible?
Currently nothing is reported and the supplid values are silently
ignored, which is imho very wrong, because the user (me ;-)) has no clue
what's going on!