[Ffmpeg-devel] Differences between mencoder andffmpegwhenencoding using x264

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Mon Feb 20 16:06:09 CET 2006

Hi all,

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 09:53 +0100, Luca Abeni wrote:
[...]
> > My recommendation for anyone using x264 in FFmpeg would be to check the x264
> > command line defaults and explicitly specify all parameters to FFmpeg using
> > the defaults from the x264 CLI and whatever alterations one may want to make.
> I tried to do that, but I got lost :(
> I think the problem could be related to the rate control settings, but I
> am not sure.
Ok, I think I tracked down part of the problem: it seems that the
deblocking filter is involved (in ffmpeg, it is disabled by default. In
mencoder and in the x264 CLI, it is enabled). Adding the "-loop" option
to ffmpeg, the quality improves a lot (BTW: are "loop filter" and
"deblocking filter" the same thing?).

Can anyone confirm?

			Thanks,
				Luca
                               N O    W A R ! ! !

 Sponsor:
 Vuoi diventare un vero esperto sul Controllo di Gestione? Scopri come nella tua azienda puoi migliorare gli utili e ridurre le spese.
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=3214&d=20-2