[Ffmpeg-devel] encoder decoder question

carboncopy carboncopy.public
Tue Feb 14 06:40:00 CET 2006

Ok, I am a little confused about ffmpeg encoding and decoding capabilities.

I would like to place the questions as clear as possible.

1. When I configure and compile ffmpeg, does it automatically enable
ALL encoding and decoding capabilities?

2. What are the usage of --enable-encoder=FOOBAR
--enable-decoder=FOOBAR during the configure process

3. Does ffmpeg automatically detect the AV format of the file just by
issuing ffmpeg -i foobar.format -target TARGET-FORMAT?

4. Does ffmpeg -formats an indication of the capabilities of my ffmpeg
or is it just the available formats (which I have to switched on
during configure)?

Thanks.