[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Linuxtag 2006

Diego Biurrun diego
Fri Feb 3 13:49:13 CET 2006

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 08:51:25AM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at rangers.eu.org> writes:
>
> > I'd very much prefer to have a booth. If we don't, I probably won't come.
>
> OK, that makes it two of us.  What days are you available to help out
> with booth duties?
>
> Any others?  Diego?  Roberto?

I'm glad that finally somebody else is taking the initiative to push
this forward.  I will be there for the whole duration of the event and I
will help you with the organization.  So will Roberto.

Now that we have a few people committed to being there we should plan a
bit what we want to showcase at the booth.  Remember that the booth
should not just be a get-together for us.  The booth should have a
purpose and be informative and attractive for the visitors.

Please reread the info about this on the LinuxTag website, it's short:

http://www.linuxtag.org/2006/en/home/cfpro/call-for-projects.html
http://www.linuxtag.org/2006/en/home/cfpro/what-linuxtag-expects-from-projects.html
http://www.linuxtag.org/2006/en/home/cfpro/gelungener-messeauftritt.html

My personal ideas are that we should try to have a bit more to offer
than last year and try to get a bit of hacking done.  I think both
things can be accomplished.  Our booth from two years ago was better
than the one last year if we take into account that we were doing it for
the first time.

So what can we do?

* NUT will hopefully be finished by then and we could try to showcase it
  as good as we can. We could hand out free samples of NUT-encoded files,
  we can have some flyers or info sheets about NUT comparing it to other
  container formats and there could be beamer presentations about it once
  or twice a day.

* A beamer playing multimedia content should be available.

* Put up the obligatory MPlayer poster, but also something more, maybe a
  diagram that explains the inner workings of multimedia players/files
  or NUT-related stuff.

* Live-CDs, we wanted to make one last year, it did not get finished in
  time..

* Collect donations, sell CDs with multimedia software on it.  We were
  asked about this constantly the last two years.  Download seems to be
  nice, take away better...

* On-stage fixing: Why not have people bring in their broken samples on
  CD and we try to fix them immediately.  No guarantees of course, the
  complexity of playback fixes can be arbitrarily high, but I'm sure we
  can pull off a few bug fixes.  Telling people about workarounds will
  also make them happy.  We wanted to do this last year, but didn't
  manage due to lack of organization.  LinuxTag would love this, they
  wanted to add this to the list of available highlights last year.

* Try to make the booth a bit more open and welcoming.  The tables and
  notebooks should not be a barricade between us and the visitors.  I
  imagine a few of us standing talking to people and maybe sittind down
  with them in a corner and a few others explicitly hacking in another
  corner.  So if somebody prefers to have less interaction, this is also
  possible (assuming of course that it's not the majority).

I'm sure we can come up with even more ideas, this should be a start.

Diego