[Ffmpeg-devel] Theora encoding

Paul Richards paul.richards
Thu Dec 28 14:38:13 CET 2006

On 28/12/06, Stefan de Konink <skinkie at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, Paul Richards wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I am interested in adding Theora encoding support to Handbrake
> > (http://handbrake.m0k.org/).  I could do this directly inside
> > Handbrake, or I could go down a level and attempt to add it to ffmpeg
> > (which would make more sense and benefit more people).
> >
> > Is anyone already thinking about Theora encoding or have advice on how
> > it should be done?..  Or can I simply start hacking?
> >
> > My plan was to use libtheora from xiph for the encoding, but I see
> > that ffmpeg has hand-rolled encoders for many of the other formats.
> > Would using libtheora be against the "philosophy" of ffmpeg?
>
> ffmpeg2theora...

ffmpeg2theora uses ffmpeg for decoding arbitrary video files, and then
uses libogg + libtheora to write out a theora ogm file.  What I would
like to do is slightly different.  I would like to add theora encoding
support directly to ffmpeg (well actually libavcodec) by using
libtheora.

In turn this would make it easy to add theora encoding to any app that
uses libavcodec (eg Handbrake).

Are you suggesting that using libtheora in ffmpeg is inappropriate?
Should I be looking at using libogg + libtheora directly inside
Handbrake instead of adding theora encoding to libavcodec?

--
Paul Richards