[Ffmpeg-devel] [BUG] wrong fps in r_frame_rate ?

Fred Rothganger fred
Sun Dec 24 16:04:14 CET 2006

Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> Hi
>
> $subject
>
> latest svn. ffmpeg -i wrong_fps.mpg
>
> Seems that stream 0 comes from film source: 25.00 (25/1) -> 24.75 (99/4)
> Input #0, mpeg, from 'wrong_fps.mpg':
>   Duration: 00:00:04.3, start: 0.552822, bitrate: 15583 kb/s
>   Stream #0.0[0x1e0]: Video: mpeg2video, yuv422p, 720x608, 15000 kb/s,
> 24.75 fps(r)
>   Stream #0.1[0x1c0]: Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, 192 kb/s
>   Stream #0.2[0x1c1]: Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, 192 kb/s
> Must supply at least one output file
>
> wrong_fps.mpg on mplayerhq as usual. File should be 25fps.
>
> in libavformat/utils.c if I remove || CODEC_ID_MPEG2VIDEO, or revert
> commit r6345, it is correctly detected.
>
> I believe this code was change to correcty detect groundhog.vob.

    groundhog.vob contains 24fps material.  The file is broken in the
sense that it starts with one frame at 1/30s duration and then returns
to 24fps.  This frame was inserted by my DVD ripping program because I
asked it to break the vobs up by chapter, and it is not smart enough to
understand telecine.  :)

    I submitted it to demonstrate the need for a patch to the code for
detecting telecine (it was using AV_TIME_BASE rather than
stream.time_base).  Michael decided to get rid of this code entirely.
He also added some other code to find a least common multiple time
base.  The end result was an r_frame_rate that is even less usable for
the purpose of detecting 24fps material.  Michael has defined
r_frame_rate to be the LCM time base of stream, so it will almost never
be 24fps unless the timestamps in the file are perfect.

    The older code for detecting telecine that Michael removed was more
robust, in that it had a wider margin (1/2fps rather than 1/24fps) for
quantizing to 24 fps, and it worked with average frame rate rather than
LCM.  I would argue that we have lost functionality with this change.

    Sorry for the high latency.  I read this list about once every 1-2
weeks to catch up.  Too busy with other things.  :)

-- Fred