[Ffmpeg-devel] [Question] avio/ByteIOContext/Circular Buffers?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Dec 12 16:17:42 CET 2006

Hi

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 10:21:18PM -0600, Ryan Martell wrote:
> Hi...
>
> On Dec 11, 2006, at 8:45 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 04:50:06PM -0600, Ryan Martell wrote:
> >>Hi--
> >>
> >>I'm trying to get the mms stuff working, and having a tough time
> >>integrating with asf.c.  I can do this rather easily as a URLContext,
> >>but I need seeking to work, and the other nice features that the
> >>AVInputFormat structure gives me. (Pausing, etc.)
> >
> >please elaborate on what the problem is with URLContext and seeking
> >note, i know nothing about mms ...
>
> This problem is that when I pause, i need to pause the network
> stream, and fast forwarding/rewinding (seeking) means sending a
> message to the server with the proper playtime and flushing queues.
> I can't just seek to an arbitrary point in a file.  AFAIK,
> AVInputFormat supports that, but URLProtocol does not.  Please
> correct me if I am incorrect.

why not pause the stream if the buffer is full? and continue if it
is not ...
and seeking just needs some small change to asf_read_seek(), namely
to pass the request to the URL stuff
the URL stuff then would either perform the seek within its buffer if
possible and if not ask the server to do it and if needed flush the
buffer
or what am i missing?

Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in
ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners. -- Vladimir Lenin