[Ffmpeg-devel] BeOS support to be discontinued Feb 1 2007

François Revol revol
Tue Dec 12 08:53:09 CET 2006

> On 12/12/06, M?ns Rullg?rd <mru at inprovide.com> wrote:
> >
> > Parts of libavformat are currently riddled with special cases for
> > BeOS.  This special casing is making everyday code maintenance
> > increasingly difficult, and flies in the face of our commitment to
> > write clean, portable code.
> >
> > We have repeatedly asked the BeOS users (Francois et al) to clean
> > up
> > the mess, only to be met with silence.
>
> Erm... I seem to remember I'm the only person who's pushed for BeOS
> support
> recently, I don't remember being asked? If you could provide a
> clearer
> description of what the "mess" is, I'd be more than willing to take a
> look
> in to it, but not having heard anything on here or when I've been on
> IRC, I
> haven't got a clue.

M?ns just doesn't go on IRC, or he would know otherwise :)

> Again, if the "issues" were made clear...

Mainly:

#ifndef __BEOS__
# include <arpa/inet.h>
#else
# include "barpainet.h"
#endif

> My sincere hope is that this mail will finally awaken someone who is

^^ broken MUA

> > both willing and capable to sort this out.  Dropping support for a

> Full functionality on BeOS R5 isn't possible without "ugly hacks",
> however
> with networking disabled, it should be.

Yes it is planned to drop R5 support at least for networking as Zeta
and Haiku fix the net_server issues.

Fran?ois.