[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] another attempt at memalign realloc

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Thu Dec 7 19:59:04 CET 2006

Hello,
On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 07:35:19PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 07:05:55PM +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
[...]
> > Actually, there is a rather obvious solution.
> > Disadvantage: av_realloc without MEMALIGN_HACK now _always_ has the time
> > and space costs of av_malloc.
>
> this is not good IMHO realloc() on a sane system should be pretty fast if
> no actuall realloc is needed

We could of course completely switch to the MEMALIGN_HACK variant :-P.
Except that, to me it currently seems that we have to choose two out of:
1) exact realloc behaviour
2) full speed for the no-size-change case
3) alignment preserved over realloc

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger