[Ffmpeg-devel] I'm giving up

Andy Parkins andyparkins
Wed Dec 6 09:49:37 CET 2006

On Tuesday 2006 December 05 12:55, Panagiotis Issaris wrote:

> But I fear it will not differ much from the current situation as the
> code isn't _really_ "in", it won't get the same exposure as the main
> branch and I'd still have to do the continuous merging.

I don't know if this helps you, but from your "continuous merging" complaint
it sounds like it might.  I think this might solve your problem of wanting to
commit your changes and yet solve Michael's problem of not wanting to commit
your changes while they're still developing.

I use git-svn to track ffmpeg's svn repository using git.  (Note: I am not
suggesting that ffmpeg change to using git as VCS).  git-svn basically just
tracks the upstream repository into a git branch, and if I had commit access
I could push changes back as well - all without any changes in upstream.

I then keep my own branch containing my changes to ffmpeg.  Here's the bit
that might help you: after I've done a "git-svn fetch" to update the tracking
branch to the latest SVN version I can use git-rebase to reapply each of the
commits on my branch to the current SVN head.

This means if I ever want to send a patch, it is always based off SVN HEAD.
Additionally, git-rebase knows which upstream revision my patches are based
off, so it does some clever magic that seems to get most of the reapply
correct automatically - I rarely have to resolve any merge conflicts.  The
times that I do have been actual conflicts.

I have to say the combination of git locally and svn remotely is surprisingly
convenient; being able to keep my changes as a series of patches that don't
interfere with upstream is really useful.

Of course this doesn't fix your wider testing problem; but then nothing
but "wider testing" will solve that :-)

Here is not the place for a more detailed guide; but if you would like help in
setting a system like this up, I'd be happy to help you via private email.

Andy
--
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIEE
andyparkins at gmail.com