[Ffmpeg-devel] Compiling FFmpeg using ISO/C89 compiler

Steve Lhomme slhomme
Tue Dec 5 18:01:18 CET 2006

Halawani, Abdelmalek wrote:
> I have the VEX C compiler. It is a compiler and simulator for VLIW "very large instruction width" machines developed by HP.
>

> Here is the VEX page.
>

> http://www.hpl.hp.com/downloads/vex/
>

> In the platform manual, they say that it is an ISO/C89 compiler.
>

> I modified common.mak, config.mak and the main Makfile, then i compiled the project.  A sequence of compilation errors appear, once I fix one another comes, and it is not easy to find the solutions online, common answers are "migrate to a more recent compiler".
>

> In addition, I realized that it is a headache to extract the "mpeg4" content out of the "ffmpeg" project. On the other hand, it will be time consuming (if possible) to try to modify the whole "ffmpeg" to be C89 compliant.
>

> If there is no way out, I will face two options, either change the compiler or find some open source "mpeg" implementations.
>

> Any advice is highly appreciated.

Try to use the DrFFMPEG source. It's not 100% up to date with the FFMPEG
SVN but it's close enough. It builds with MSVC which doesn't support
named structure elements or variable length macros. They can be replaced
with equivalent C89 code.

https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/drdivx/DrDivX/trunk/drffmpeg/

Steve