[Ffmpeg-devel] How to compile ffmpeg as a shared library and install the headers?

Måns Rullgård mru
Sun Dec 3 02:03:09 CET 2006

Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx> writes:

> M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>> Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx> writes:

>>> Not presently possible. FFmpeg has no stable API or formal release
>>> schedule.
>> Don't tell lies.  Building shared versions of the ffmpeg libraries is
>> well supported.  The API/ABI does change from time to time, but we do
>> make an effort to keep it stable when doing so does not impair
>> performance or functionality.
>
> But we don't warrant that the API/ABI will not change. So there.

As long as the latest compatible version is installed, the program
will continue to run.  After an incompatible change, the application
will anyway have to be updated to compile, so using shared libs is
still better from that perspective.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com