[Ffmpeg-devel] How to compile ffmpeg as a shared library and install the headers?

Grzegorz Borowiak gborowiak
Sat Dec 2 19:06:31 CET 2006

Hi.

I am a programmer and an amateur movie maker. I'm developing a
non-linear video editing system. By now it is batch-only and it calls
multiple external programs to do the job. I plan to make it more
interactive and I would like to use libavcodec and libavformat for
some tasks.

My problem is: how to compile and install ffmpeg libraries as shared
objects and how to install header files into /usr/local/include in
some clean, automatized way (opposite to manual copy file by file)? I
would like to link to ffmpeg dynamically, so my program capabilities
could grow automagically along with ffmpeg libraries capabilities.