[Ffmpeg-devel] MPEG-2 Acceleration Under Mac OS X - Can We Move This Forward?

galenz at zinkconsulting.com galenz
Tue Aug 29 04:08:08 CEST 2006

Robert,

I hate to admit it, but I highly doubt I have immensely more skill
than you do. John is the real talent behind this. I'm just
passionate, tenacious and (sadly?) headed a slightly different
direction with my professional work, so while I keep up with
computers, I don't have enough time and (most importantly) "mental
money" to get into new programming - at last not of the complexity
required to really turn Accellent into a portable library or
integrate it with a mainstream player all by myself.

What got this going back in January was that I started thinking about
some tricks I could pull and I contrived a successful way to get DVD
Player.app to render HD MPEG-2. Once I did that, John was able to get
Accellent up and running under 10.4 in record time and actually
improve it substantially. Now we have a fairly portable proof-of-
concept application.

To give you an idea of the performance, I tested VLC (Intel build)
versus Accellent running some 1920 x 1080 HD content: VLC used
90-110% of the CPU on a 2 GHz Core Duo MacBook. On a dramatically
slower 1.33 GHz PowerBook G4, the same clip played back using no more
than 25% of the CPU. Now that's what I call a performance boost!

The challenge is going to be that this isn't just a library you feed
the bits into as MPEG-2 and have them dumped out as a full
resolution, uncompressed video. It actually basically takes the data,
does some pre-processing, and then hands the data off to the Apple
stuff (it's the handoff that's the tricky part) which then actually
dumps it to the display. That's how you get such amazing performance.
That's also why it's a bit tricky, you would almost certainly have to
modify the display code in your player to get it working.

As for using it with other codecs, I think that would require another
layer of reverse engineering, and I think that you wouldn't see such
great performance gains. Despite being an "older" codec, MPEG-2 is
the quality leader at high bitrates is part of the Blu-ray and HD-DVD
spec, and is currently used for HDTV broadcast over the air in the US
and many other countries. You can get TV tuners that plug into your
machine via FireWire and dump an HD stream. The problem for slower
machines is playing back the video. And even for fast machines, heat/
noise/power consumption/multi-tasking can be a problem.

I've also been in touch with a the VLC developers list (I vastly
prefer VLC's OS X interface over MPlayer's) and there is a modicum of
interest, but DJ would like to see more documentation about Accellent
- which really needs to come from John. I've written John and we'll
see if we can't get a bit more documentation out of him. If you feel
inclined, drop John a friendly email expressing the value you would
see in him providing a bit more documentation so this project can
move forward - johnd at defyne.org

-Galen