[Ffmpeg-devel] FFmpeg + X264 questions

David Shirley tephra
Sat Aug 19 13:07:54 CEST 2006

Hi All,

I am trying to convert a bunch of HDTV MPEG2 (DVB streams from
Australian TV) into H264 for space saving reasons.

So far I am using the command :

ffmpeg -qmax 26 -i input.mpg -f mpegts -vcodec h264 -acodec copy output.mpeg

The first thing I notice is it will only use 1 CPU rathern that 2CPU's
(I have a dual core system) I have compiled in pthreads to both x264
and ffmpeg and am running the latest SVN's of both -

Am I doing something wrong?

The other thing I notice is that the resulting video has combing
artifacts - If I add "-deinterlace" then these go away - Can
x264/ffmpeg interlace the output? (-interlace results in a error)

Cheers
Dave