[Ffmpeg-devel] swscale recently broke (in mplayer)

Diego Biurrun diego
Fri Aug 18 17:27:02 CEST 2006

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 04:34:58PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 04:05:38PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 03:52:27PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > >
> > > Kick out those files from your working directory and try again, they
> > > should not reappear.  Hopefully your working directory and its metadata
> > > will cope, otherwise you may have to make a fresh checkout.  This is not
> > > something I can test.
> >
> > $rm img_format.c
> > $rm img_format.h
> > $svn up
> > Restored 'img_format.c'
> > Restored 'img_format.h'
>
> no series of svn commands i tried fixed that
> only removing .svn/text-base/img_format.?.svn-base
> and editing .svn/entries
> fixed it

OK, good to know.

> diego, could you explain how that repo breakage happened and how you fixed it?
> is the svn repo now in a true history matching state?

If you are referring to this trunk/img_format.[ch] issue, then yes, it
now matches history.

If you are referring to the MPlayer repository in general, then no it does
not match history.  It never has because the CVS repository from which it
was created has had *massive* manual fiddling applied to it.  It's closer
than ever, though.

> furthermore iam asking the admin team offically to NEVER attempt to rebuild
> the ffmpeg repository no matter what the reason, this is far too dangerous
> a single typo can wipe out the whole repo and whats worse errors can sneak
> in unnoticed and throw everything into an inconsistant state

Admins can always do massive damage with single typos, that's why it's
so important to make backups.  We have daily backups of all repositories
so the window for dataloss is 24h and it's not very hard to recreate
commits from the mailing list archive.

When I work on the repository I of course never work on the live
repository, but on a copy.  There is no way that the live copy can ever
be wiped out.

I'll make sure to triplecheck next time I make changes to a repository,
but given how many times I made changes my record is still not bad.

Anyway, I'm not aware of any outstanding issues with the FFmpeg
repository so the point is moot.

> for example everyone who had checked out mplayer after the breakage can now
> throw the checkout away or manually fix it

Not all checkouts seem to have been affected, those that were are not
hard to fix.

Diego