[Ffmpeg-devel] streaming jpeg packets from a socket

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux
Wed Aug 16 12:11:48 CEST 2006

embeddedPaolo xenakis wrote:
> Hi all
> I have to implement a program which does the following
> operations:
>
> 1) it obtains distincts jpeg packets from a socket
> 2) while obtaining these packets, it makes a rtsp
> stream (in mjpeg format) with them
>
> With the command line tool I can create a stream from
> jpeg files as inputs; however, in my case,
> I don't want to save my packets as jpeg files (it
> would be a heavy solution...do you agree?), but I want
> to manage them directly....Is there a way to do it
> with ffmpeg?,And, above all, is it simple or
> difficoult to do?
> I suspect it would be impossible to do this operation
> with the command line tool, so .... are there any
> sample codes (or examples) wich can be helpful for me?

It's not *very* difficult; you will have to add a protocol that will
pull the JPEGs from the wire instead of opening files. See
libavformat/file.c.

Alternately, you might consider that your JPEG stream is a new kind of
file format, similar to an MJPG file.

> tnx
> Paolo
>
> Chiacchiera con i tuoi amici in tempo reale!
>  http://it.yahoo.com/mail_it/foot/*http://it.messenger.yahoo.com

Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director
T +32 [0] 2 790 29 41