[Ffmpeg-devel] Does ffmpeg support 10 bit sample rate?

Loren Merritt lorenm
Tue Aug 15 10:41:55 CEST 2006

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, wulan at sunmedia.com.cn wrote:

> Dear Mike,
>>> wulan at sunmedia.com.cn wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>> I have some H264 bitstream with 10 bit sample rate. Does ffmpeg support
>>> decode them?
>
>> What does this mean, exactly? 10 bits per component sample (Y, U, and V)?
>
> Yes, 10 bits per component(Y/U/V).

ffmpeg does not support 10bit colordepth. There are no plans to add it.
A hypothetical implementation would only be a custom compile-time option
and never in the default ffmpeg, since merely supporting it would have a
huge speed penalty for the normal 8bit case (or a huge maintainability
overhead in duplicate code).

--Loren Merritt