[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] ffmpeg-windows mailinglist?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Tue Aug 1 20:35:45 CEST 2006

Hello,
On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 02:16:31PM -0400, Augie Fackler wrote:
> In general, is it a misrepresentation of the ffmpeg project's current
> policy to say there is little interest in supporting non-recent and/
> or non-GNU cc and binutils (or equivalents therein)?

Somewhat. There is little interest in patches that are hackish (because
they are likely to break again soon) or large (hard to review, and also
likely to break something that was working up to that).
Also making code larger or more difficult to read isn't usually liked.
IMHO the usual and quite sensible rules. Of course nobody is really
objective and when people get the impression that a person that they
have never heard of before tries to pressure some patch, instead of even
thinking about alternatives, that gives it a malus.
IMHO the usual social rules ;-). And please not my use of the word
"impression" above. IMHO intrusive patches are the worst way of starting
to contribute to a project.
Oh, and what concerns flaming: not only windows users get that, just
wait for someone suggesting conversion of the buld system to autotools,
I think most will feel like treated well compared to that :-P

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger