[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] ffmpeg-windows mailinglist?

Steve Lhomme slhomme
Tue Aug 1 17:11:48 CEST 2006

Ramiro Polla wrote:
> Herv? W. wrote:

>> So nobody is going to subscribe to that list? Which effectively means
>> you'll be throwing away the work that already has gone into cygwin and
>> mingw support.
>> Patches from outside, to fix what the regular ffmpeg development
>> breaks, should presumably go to that new list? And with nobody there
>> to review them they just go to the archives to rot.
>>
> Actually I think it's a grand idea. I would definitely subscribe to that
> list. Any windows whiners (like me) that come ask here could be told to
> go ask there, and only there, instead of being ignored or flamed. I'll
> host a page with windows-only patches and guides to building ffmpeg
> under windows.

Good idea. I think it would benefit a lot of people. I'm planning to
port the inline gcc assembly into standlone ASM files that can be
handled by yasm/nasm. This way it should be possible to build most of
FFMPEG in Visual Studio. The binaries should end up smaller and faster
than MinGW.

> under windows. I imagine (hope) that from time to time some real ffmpeg
> developer will be nice enough to check there and see if there's
> something that could potentially be applied into the real ffmpeg.

History shows that it doesn't happen (look at VLC and Xine patches).