[Ffmpeg-devel] On2 Flix Engine uses memcoder in commerical Flix Engine

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg
Fri Apr 28 08:27:56 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 4/28/06, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 09:24:00PM +0300, Oded Shimon wrote:
> >
> > As for license, I have absoloutely no preference, and it can be public
> > domain for all I care. But we'll probably use some license that prevents
> > using libnut to make invalid NUT files.
>
> I suggest settling the license issue soon.  The license should be as
> permissive as possible IMO, X11-style sounds about right, but if it's OK
> with you, maybe even drop the necessity for giving credit.  This is
> about facilitating widespread use at all costs.
>
> Preventing invalid NUT files is impossible, just think about bugs.
> Shall the license forbid buggy implementations?  Modifications must also
> be possible if you want to have a free format.  What you can possible
> demand is that incompatible versions not be called NUT.

An artistic licence could be what you are looking for: the only
restriction of that licence is that if the project is forked, it can't
use the same name as the original.

Guillaume
is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to
make him really know what he's talking about.