[Ffmpeg-devel] Google Summer Of Code

Mike Melanson mike
Wed Apr 26 02:44:16 CEST 2006

M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> The good thing about H.264 is that the spec is (fairly) freely
> available.

	Eh, same with all of the rest of the so-called "open" MPEG specs. Even
if you can get ahold of a possibly outdated and slightly errant draft
spec, good luck understanding it. Then again, different people think in
different ways. For my part, I can't stand reading those specs. I
understand algorithms much easier when I look at code that implements
them (even ASM). So I re-write the algorithm description the way I
perceive it, and the way I would need it explained to me in order to
re-implement it.

	If nothing else, it's not a bad thing to have multiple approaches of
explaining complex topics. But I look forward to the day when someone
comes on this list asking for the MPEG specs and we can point them to
the MultimediaWiki rather than advising them to Google for shady draft
specs.

--
	-Mike Melanson